Monday, August 29, 2011

General Authority, Baptism, and Bad Doctor

Another week has come and gone in the mission field, and it's been full of work, fun, and eating rice. This week we had a general authority visit, a baptism, and my companion got really sick, so it was a very interesting week.

So, Elder Ardern came and visited the mission last week. The night before the Baler Zone came to our house to sleep. Because they live so far away from Cabanatuan, they come down the night before and stay at our house. Brought back memories of when I was assigned up there, and coming down. I remember saying, "I hope I never get assigned in Cabanatuan" 'cause the house was dirty, and it's kinda hot. But now I'm assigned here, and we cleaned up the house, and I'm loving it. We had a really awesome meeting before the zone conf. with Elder Arden that was just for zone leaders. It was just about 10 of us and a general authority teaching us so it was really cool. One thing he said that I really like is he mentioned the verse in D&C where it says "many are called, but few are chosen." he then said something that hit me pretty hard, which was "those who are chosen, are those who chose God." So that made that verse a lot clearer for me. After that we had an awesome Zone conf. and the food was really good--they finally cooked something different. For a year and a half it's been the same dish, but they finally switched things up.

Then after that Elder Ardern wanted to tour two of the closest houses. Turns out our house, and another elders house were the closest to the chapel. Elder Ardern came and toured our house, which was actually okay. We had a little warning, so we cleaned up a little bit. And they were really nice, and we were able to take a picture together. They then didn't know how to get to the other elders house, so we took them over there. Then after the house check, we went outside, and Elder Arderns wife saw the Ice Cream Things here, and thought they looked so cute, she just had to take some pictures. (They're still pretty new here in the Philippines, not used to stuff like that). Well since she had them stopped, Elder Ardern had to buy some Ice Cream, so we had a 70 buy us ice cream. (Yup his picture is in the Ensign). Don't worry I kept the wrapper.

Then on Friday, we went on splits. Elder Adrus came and worked with me, and Elder Burog went and worked in the other area. It was a pretty fun split. The next day Elder Burog came back home, and he went straight up to bed. He looked really sick, so I made him take his temp. and it was 40 degrees cel. which if you convert it is 104, so that was a little to high. He took some Tylenol and it went down a little. He didn't feel like working, so we stayed in the house. The only problem is we had a baptism at 7 that night. Anyways after a while the fever came back, so I went into my doctor mode, and gave him 3 pills of ibuprofen. After a while we went to the baptism, even though Elder Burog wasn't feeling very well. The baptism was awesome. Sis. Eliza and Sis. Destiny got baptized. The ward did everything really well. I got to conduct, so that was fun. We even had a couple missionary come, the Chases. Everything went successful there, and after the baptism, elder wasn't looking good at all. His eyes got really puffy, in fact in the picture you can kinda see it. But anyways, Elder and Sister Chase took us to the hospital, 'cause there is a Dengue scare here, which is kinda a dangerous disease, that you get from a mosquito. We went to the hospital, and turns out he just had strep throat, and that he either is allergic to Ibuprofen, or it was an over dose (I gave him 3, and he's only about 100 pounds), anyways it's a good thing my comp. is a pretty nice guy. He didn't get mad at me for giving him Ibuprofen or anything like that, but I guess there is a point of being to nice. I was just trying to be nice, but turns out my comp. is allergic to it.

Then on sunday, we missed Branch 8 'cause he still wasn't feeling very good. But since we have two areas, we were able to go to church in the afternoon. We did get there a little late though, missed the opening song, and I play the piano, but they understood. So I went up and played the sacrament song, which went well, but the funny thing the first councilor told me while I was playing, that I was going to be the first speaker. So that just broke the record for the least amount of time I've ever had to prepare a talk in my life. It was kinda interesting. Can't wait for the time they break that record. Always makes me laugh when that happens, (it actually happens quite a bit.)

Then today was a pretty normal p-day. We set some goals, ate some food, and had some fun. Anyways, it has been a pretty good week (at least for me, Elder Burog didn't have quite as much fun). Looking forward to another awesome week. Anyways the church is true--let's tell the world. Love yall

Elder Farnsworth

No comments:

Post a Comment